Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dad's stroke

I got a scary phone call last night. About 9:30 and Bill and I were getting ready for bed, the phone rings. I looked at the caller ID and it's Dad. I answered the phone and it was Robin. She was calling to tell me that Dad was in the Emergency Room at Riverview Hospital and that they think that he had a stroke. She had been trying to get in touch with Tom and he wasn't answering his phone. Robin tried to put my mind at ease telling me that he was cracking jokes and in good humor. I asked if I needed to head that direction (stupid question) and she said that she could call me back when they had the results of the tests. I sat on the edge of the bed and let Bill know what was going on. He asked if we needed to head North. At that point, I just needed to see my dad. We stopped by Tom's apartment on the way there so that we could let him know what was going on. Of course, this was after I called Larry and Margaret and scared them looking for Tom. When we got to the hospital, Robin was waiting for me and we went right in to see Dad. He looked pretty good, but his speech was very slurred. It was difficult to figure out what he was saying. Dad had been to dinner with Katie and the stroke had happened then. They were talking and all of a sudden he lost his speech. She kept her head and got him to the hospital right away. She got him all checked in and called all of the appropriate people. What a good kid! Once all of the test results came back (both from last night and from today), it's been determined that he does not require physical therapy. Praise God! And that he will require speech therapy to work back to being able to speak clearly. Under the circumstances, we have the best possible prognosis. Things could have been so much worse. It's just a lesson that we all need to take good care of ourselves.

No comments: